Thursday, May 28, 2009

Quake 4 "Invalid CD-Key" Fix

EDIT YOUR TCP/IP HOSTFILE
1. Start -> "Run" (Windows Key + R)
2. Enter "c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" without quotes.
3. A dialog box opens. Choose "Notepad"
4. Now you will see a display explaining what the hostfile is and what it does. Go to the very last line in the entire document, the one that says "127.0.0.1 localhost".
5. In the line after "127.0.0.1 localhost", you will add "127.0.0.1 q4master.idsoftware.com". MAKE SURE YOU HIT "TAB" TO GET THE SPACES RIGHT.
6. Save changes, exit the document.
7. Launch Quake 4. The key will be automatically validated and you can play.

18 comments:

  1. Have a difficulty. I did all of the above, but I couldn't save the edited file. It said I didn't have permission. I tried that one trick where you use cmd prompt to take ownership of the file, but it still didn't work. help? I'm on Windows 7 ultimate, if that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will test it again and post an update. This HAS to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. run notepad as administrator and THEN open HOSTS file, and you can save that... Newbies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. WORKs you have to copy the file in there preferably use TotalCommander to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps : save the file to the desktop and copy it from there.

      Delete
  5. Thx :x , you save my pc from some kick :D
    it work on any version ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Worked for me.
    I have:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Quake 4 with v1.4.2 update

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man this didnt work after all the hardwork

    ReplyDelete